Website and Forum problems

45 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Andros
Ritratto di Andros
Messenger
Iscritto: 29 Ott 2007

Edited by forum moderator Nanouk.

re: new task utility for members
who have not been yet promoted to/as "Messengers".

Kalypso: #85553

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
Iscritto: 30 Ott 2007

I think the point of this section is, or should be, to discuss ideas, suggestions, or problems with the site. At least that is my opinion.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Andros
Ritratto di Andros
Messenger
Iscritto: 29 Ott 2007

LOL
A 3 months delay to reply Lynnutte... :mrgreen:

Anyway I was asking because it is a private section that only you and Shimmer had access to. I was considering deleting it or making it non-private(or at least to all the messengers).

Kalypso: #85553

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
Iscritto: 30 Ott 2007

I think making it available to all messengers is good. And better late than never, right?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower
Iscritto: 14 Feb 2009

Hey there

From a personal level, I think it's a wonderful idea to have a place for troubleshooting, instead of clogging up the forums as I have done (unfortunately) with the problems I've been having regarding image insertion.  It could have been transferred to here and out of everyone's way. Trouble is, I've only just found this section. 

Would it be possible to have a Troubleshooting section ( clearly marked as "Troubleshooting" ) where problems could be discussed, brainstormed and miraculously resolved ?

Just asking....

lily

Be kind...  nearly everyone is fighting some sort of private battle

Nanouk_Metal
Iscritto: 1 Mar 2008

lilyflower wrote:

Hey there 

Would it be possible to have a Troubleshooting section ( clearly marked as "Troubleshooting" ) where problems could be discussed, brainstormed and miraculously resolved ?

Just asking....

lily

We do have a similar thread in a private forum, for bugs/troubleshooting related to this new site.

Home » Forums » Private Discussions » Affiliates and Messengers Private Business
Titled: New Site Bugs
http://guildofmessengers.com/forum/topic/new-site-bugs

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

That's great, but we newbies do not have access to it in order to discuss our problems. 
So ... do I invest in a can of insecticide to get rid of bugs ?    8 ( 

Nanouk_Metal

lilyflower wrote:

That's great, but we newbies do not have access to it in order to discuss our problems. 
So ... do I invest in a can of insecticide to get rid of bugs ?    8 ( 

I wonder how long it will take until they promote you to a "Messenger" status. Maybe that is why
you are having so much trouble.

In the mean time, I will try to change the title of this thread. See you in a few minutes.

Done. Lily, check the new title and the first post of this thread.

Thank you for being so persistant Lily....

Nanouk_Metal

Check above post Lily. It should make you very happy.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

I did discover something interesting when replying to a post.  I tried to cut and paste part of the post that was relevant to my reply, and received the following error message:-

"Your browser security settings don't permit the editor to automatically execute copying operations". 

Do you think this is why I cannot upload my images ??  I tried my filebrowser AGAIN, and although the log tells me that it is uploading, the files do not appear in the main window.  The only successful one was a photo of my son with his eldest daughter (jpeg) but the KI images (also jpeg) were a no--go.  My fingernails are suffering very badly.....

Oh, and the other interesting thing ... when I reply to a private message it does not let me put a smiley at the end ... only at the beginning..... now is that weird ??? ......or is that weird ??? .....or what the heck is it ?????  lol .... we have to laugh, otherwise we would cry from sheer frustration......

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Hey Nanouk

You are a star !!!  Thank you

lily

Nanouk_Metal

lilyflower wrote:

I did discover something interesting when replying to a post.  I tried to cut and paste part of the post that was relevant to my reply, and received the following error message:-

"Your browser security settings don't permit the editor to automatically execute copying operations". 

Do you think this is why I cannot upload my images ??  I tried my filebrowser AGAIN, and although the log tells me that it is uploading, the files do not appear in the main window.  The only successful one was a photo of my son with his eldest daughter (jpeg) but the KI images (also jpeg) were a no--go.  My fingernails are suffering very badly.....

Oh, and the other interesting thing ... when I reply to a private message it does not let me put a smiley at the end ... only at the beginning..... now is that weird ??? ......or is that weird ??? .....or what the heck is it ?????  lol .... we have to laugh, otherwise we would cry from sheer frustration......

You really need help from an administrator. lol

Which one will take care of you is "the question of the month".

P.S.

Try testing and make sure to always put a period at the end of a sentence, before adding a smiley.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Ok OK...  I confess....  to not always putting a period at the end of a sentence, and sometimes I put lots of them in (me being a female and all that). [see I did remember that one lol  :)  :) .... ]

As for which administrator will take care of me .....

Is this where you take me outside, line me up against a wall, and shoot me ???   lol rotfl lol

Nanouk_Metal

Me waiting for Lily to do a smiley test with "one period" with " ? " and " ! ". (one line for each)

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

lol lol  here we go  .   .  .

howzat ?    

""   ??        rotfl   lol  :)  :)  :)    ow, my tummy hurts !!!!

Nanouk_Metal

Good job "Madame"....

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Glad I passed the test.  Thank you for the applause (lily bows in appreciation of the kudos).

So... who is the executioner ??     I need to prepare myself (sniff....sniff....sniff)

Szark
Ritratto di Szark
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Iscritto: 12 Gen 2008

Admin hat on:

These problems you are having Lily I can assure you are not bugs. They do not come from having basic site access. Upgrading you to Messengers is a bit premature at this point and it will not solve your immediate porblems.

Not solving yours problems does concerm me but at this point in time we can not do anything about it. If this does turn out to be a bug then we shall let you know but I have been assured that it is not.

Nanouk is doing his best to help you and I see he has helped with some things. That is the best we can do I am affraid Lily.

Nanouk_Metal

Me wonders if Lily was given access to a "user Account" for uploading files.

Can an administrator doublecheck that,  and see if she has or not

Nanouk_Metal

I have one question for Lily.

Go to the top of any page and click on the "edit" button beside your username once you are logged in.

Question: Can you access the 4th Tab called "File browser ? (View/Edit/Track page visits/File browser)

If yes, do you see a "user + a # " ? That would be "you". 

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Ok I went and looked... I have View/Edit/File browser but not "Track Page visits".  

I have just run a programme to clean up the temp files and regained over 300MB of memory.   Phew !! 
Still unable to upload although the log tells me it is doing so yet nothing appears in the main window.  Tried again with the Insert Image yellow box in this reply window but noticed a padlock on it (on the left hand side), so perhaps that is why it will not work for me.

Thanks again for all your time and efforts in trying to help.

lily. 

And here comes a smiley for my teacher ""

Nanouk_Metal

The "lock" will be there until you have uploaded an image.

But you did not tell me what you saw after clicking the "edit" button, beside the "you are logged in as lilyflower"
(read my above instructions again)

If I was in your shoes, I would try turning off any firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus to test if they are the "culprit(s)".

What is your Operating System ? Windows XP ?

What is your browser name and version ? Mine is Internet Explorer Version 6.

Btw, are you using any preloaded Symantec/Norton stuff  for your security package ?

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Just checked it all out, and have reduced the security down to "low".

I run Vista Business and Internet Explorer 7 on a laptop which is not even a year old yet.

Anti virus is Kapersky which yells if I turn off its firewall (even if I turn on the WIndows one) and seems to freeze everything up until I turn it back on again.  Perhaps it is an in-built security which I have not been able to get around.  Not too user-friendly it seems.  I searched right through it to try to alter the settings but it refuses to co-operate without causing other problems.

My Account in GoMe under File browser reads as follows:

Navgation

+ sites/default/files

. user 258

+ shared

Would I be secure enough on this site if I turn off Kapersky whilst I'm logged in ?  Anything else I can do ?

lily

Nanouk_Metal

lilyflower wrote:

Just checked it all out, and have reduced the security down to "low".

I run Vista Business and Internet Explorer 7 on a laptop which is not even a year old yet.

Anti virus is Kapersky which yells if I turn off its firewall (even if I turn on the WIndows one) and seems to freeze everything up until I turn it back on again.  Perhaps it is an in-built security which I have not been able to get around.  Not too user-friendly it seems.  I searched right through it to try to alter the settings but it refuses to co-operate without causing other problems.

My Account in GoMe under File browser reads as follows:

Navgation

+ sites/default/files

. user 258

+ shared

Would I be secure enough on this site if I turn off Kapersky whilst I'm logged in ?  Anything else I can do ?

lily

If Kapersky has its own firewall, it is a bad idea not to turn off the Windows firewall.
That might create a conflict between the two.

Suggestions:

1-  Turn off the Windows firewall.
2-  Go to the Security Tab in Internet Options and use the default setting.
3-  Download the PDF file for the tutorial "
How to Add Images to an Article/Forum Post "
4-  Print it if you can.

5- Then open a reply window  and click the Image upload icon and follow the instructions until
you see "user 258" on the left side. (user 258 is your account name)
6-  Click on "user 258" and continue as per the instructions.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

No, no, you misunderstand me.   I definitely do NOT run two firewalls, as I am aware of the conflict.  What I meant was that I cannot replace Kapersky's firewall with the Windows one as it will not allow me to.

I have done everything you suggested re Internet Explorer and tried to upload a file in file browser.  As before, the log shows it has uploaded but the file does not appear in the main window.  Yes, I have tried with several files, but again I can only upload my son's photo. 

Thank you for trying, and I am so sorry that it did not work and I do realise that you have put a lot of time and thought into attempting to help me with this.  I am stumped...

Al'Kaera
Ritratto di Al'Kaera
Iscritto: 6 Lug 2008

lilyflower wrote:
Thank you for trying, and I am so sorry that it did not work and I do realise that you have put a lot of time and thought into attempting to help me with this.  I am stumped...

Well, don't be stumped any longer... the thing I was waiting for someone to tell you is the KI jpegs from Cyan have extra data in the file and so they don't work/can't be loaded into just any forum/email/whatever.

I was afraid there were too many cooks in the kitchen on helping you and I am right. With so much input, you could be getting more frustrated all the time and I don't want to add to that.

Get a tool like Irfanview (find it on majorgeeks also) open the KI images, do a Save as.. to a new folder like Myst/Uru/MOUL pics in the same folder your KI Images are, or close by so you can find them easily.

Save as.. saves the jpeg but strips off the extra bytes in the file so that they become normal. You could also Save as.. png, which for a lot of uses including here on the forum and in our newspaper is a better file.

As far as Kapersky goes, as soon as the subscription you have with it runs out, I would recommend a different AV software (l use NOD32) , plus learn about layered security. I have layered and most of it is freeware. 

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Nanouk_Metal

I beleive I have found what your problem is.

if you try uploading a KI picture directly, it will not work. KI image files
have to be translated into a new jpeg formats before using them.

I am not familiar with Vista so I cannot recommand a free Photo Editor
to reformat your KI images.

The best suggestion I have at this moment, would be to take screenshots
instead of KI shots.

Me hoping that somebody who knows Vista will be able to help you find
an easy and free Photo Editor for Vista that can reformat your KI images.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Actually, Kaspersky I known to be one of the best AV around (although it doesn't have a free edition).

There are some little programs made just to fix KI pics, made by Myst Fans: http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Myst_Online:_Uru_Live_KI_image_bug

I think your problems are due to too high security settings, try shutting down Kaspersky just for some minutes while you're browsing on this website and try uploading an image.

I don't know how Kaspersky works but there should be somewhere a page where you can choose the level of security.

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Oh, thank you, thank you.  I will download Irfanview as I know that programme from my Win95 days on my old Compaq.

I did try saving my pics in Paint with .png but that still did not work.  I even tried the screenshot route, but that did not work.

When it comes to Kapersky, it was the only one available apart from Norton (which I have had too many problems with in the past and Vista does not seem to like it).   And no, I cannot buy online as Amazon et al have refused to supply South Africa due to immense fraud.  (Some people spoil it for everyone)  So I have to rely on what I can get at the computer outlets, and that is very limited.  I did try downloading AVG but could not get the free one as this is Vista Business, and I cannot buy the online version (already explained).  I really do not mind paying for something but my choices in this country are extremely limited.  Pllus it takes forever to get anything one might especially order.

As for the rest ... yes, it was a bit frustrating but I have lots of patience.  I was more concerned at all the time people were putting into solving this problem when I am aware that they are all very busy bees.  They are the ones who must have been incredibly frustrated, and that makes me feel really awful.

Thanks again for being willing to help.

lily.         .  light at the end of the tunnel ?

semplerfi
Ritratto di semplerfi
Iscritto: 5 Gen 2008

Have you tried adding "http://www.guildofmessengers.com" to your trusted websites on your 'Internet Options' 'Security' tab of IE? 

Does your AV program have a place for such entries?

lilyflower
Ritratto di lilyflower

Thanks for your suggestion Semplerfi,  but that was done when I first logged into this site.